.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Amsterdam, New York, United States

Friday, May 12, 2006

BLACK SOCKS FOR SOLDIERS

My black yarn came and I started knitting my BIG BLACK SOCKS. I belong to SockForSoldiers@yahoogroups.com It is a great group and we are making black hand knit socks that military personnel can wear on duty--and know that we love them. I don't think anyone likes the idea of war, but our young people are out there and need to know we care about them. The socks have to be knitted out of machine washable and machine dryable yarns--come over and join the group with us. It is a great bunch of gals and guys knitting away on all that black yarn!

I have about 2 inches done on the cuff of the first sock and have started the st stitch leg part. It has to be 12 to 14 inches long before I can start the heel--so I have quite a bit of knitting to do! But I'm happy to be doing it!

The spring colored yarn for Piper's and Cora's socks came finally. It got sidetracked and damaged the first time out, but the supplier tracked it down and sent a new package to me express mail. Really great service! I got this yarn from www.doublediamondknits.com The yarn is called Confetti and is very pretty--the girls are going to like them. When I need a break from the BIG BLACK SOCKS these little pretty ones will be great!

I'm also knitting a pair for myself with Socks that Rock and enjoying that yarn, too. All these yarns are superwash--is there any other kind? (G) Well, not in my knitting basket!

Speaking of knitting basket, I've been thinking about getting a knitting basket of some kind to sit by my chair, something that would help organize and keep things where I am more likely to find them! Any suggestions?

Hope you are having as much fun knitting as I am!

Sewing and quilting are sitting in the background. I did treat myself to Jinny Beyer's book Quiltmaking by Hand. Lots of good info and ideas there. She talks about piecing by hand and how to organize it so you can take it with you. I think I may try her method and see if I like it. I used to do Lap Quilting years ago and enjoyed that. Maybe I can combine the hand piecing and machine assembly in some way that I'll like. But when I quilt for kids, I definitely will be machine quilting a good part of the quilt so it will survive the hugs and loves! I want my quilts to be used and loved!

My birthday is coming up on June 6th and I have been wanting to get some embroidery thread for my Kenmore Ergo3. I ordered 112 spools, all different colors from an eBay dealer--they arrived today and are absolutely beautiful! I also ordered the Clothsetter from Sears for my machine--just couldn't afford to get everything all at once! Now I will be able to decorate little bibs and shirts for the babies at the Rez--and make Piper and Cora special little shirts, too.

I mean, hey! A gal has to get what she wants for her birthday, right? Otherwise your sons will give you screwdrivers and wrenches--------

1 Comments:

Blogger Pretentious Wombat said...

I used to quilt a lot several years ago and I admire Jinny Beyer greatly for her wonderful colour sense and advice. I had her video on basic quilting which showed her piecing method and I actually started a double wedding ring quilt by hand due to her influence. Now I'm on a knitting binge but the quilting bug has been calling out to me since I'm doing a bit of sewing these days, too.

Glad to see you've joined K4C - see you there!

Patti :-)

Wednesday, May 17, 2006  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home