.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Amsterdam, New York, United States

Friday, September 23, 2005

Two Thumbs Up!

I just have the thumbs to knit on a pair of green mittens for CRR and they will be finished. I am using worsted wt wool, 32 sts, knit in the round with an afterthought thumb. They go really quickly. I'm putting in an identifying stripe of color so the kids can tell which ones are theirs. And I'm using two strands of fingering yarn for the stripes--found out that equals 1 strand of worsted--and it works well--I like using the self-striping yarn for this--makes for a bright cheery stripe that is very different.

The "recipe" for size I decided on is 2 1/2 inches ribbing, 2 1 /2 inches to thumb sts, knit 7 sts of contrasting thread, put back on left hand needle and continue knitting. 2 1/2 inches for palm then make a toe for the top till 8 sts are left on each needle. Kitchener off these sts and weave in the ends. Pick up the thumb sts, 5 on each needle, knit 2 1/2 inches, knit 2 tog for 2 rows and use weaving needle to draw yarn through sts tightly to finish. This makes a mitten that should fit a 4-6 year old child. I'm doing the mittens using the Magic Loop method on size 5 needles, 24 inches, one at a time to prevent tangling yarn. Could do the 2 on 2 circs but get too frustrated with the yarn! Then I do the thumbs on dpns as that is the easiest for such a small amount of sts.

I learned to do this afterthought thumb from Knitting without Tears by Elizabeth Zimmermann many years ago and just love it. I use her afterthought heel to make simple socks, too. I love making knitting easy and fun--and EZ always does that! I want to get the new book that is out "The Opinionated Knitter", but have to save my money for a bit. But I know it will be well worth the wait!

Will add a picture of the mittens later when they are finished.

3 Comments:

Blogger HaloSearch said...

For Bloggers and Cyber-Dissidents
Major newspapers and other concerns run their own blogs, but that's because they have to and deep down, they know citizen journalistst are gradually becoming the sources people turn to for unspun news and ...
www.palgold.com Online auction with free listings and no picture hosting fees, selling watches, jewelry and many other great products. Set up your own store and shop till you drop, get all this and more at www.palgold.com

Friday, September 23, 2005  
Blogger TS said...

Just thought I'd let you know about a site where you can make over $800 a month in extra income. Go to this site   MAKE MONEY NOW  and put in your zip code..... up will pop several places where you can get paid to secret shop, take surveys, etc.  It's free.  I found several and I live in a small town!

Friday, September 23, 2005  
Blogger Mariella said...

Yes! Pictures please! Would love to see the end results of that easy mitten recipe you just posted.

Friday, September 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home