.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}
My Photo
Name:
Location: Amsterdam, New York, United States

Friday, January 21, 2005

Love to Knit and Sew

Here it is January 2005 and this is my first posting of the new year. Christmas was very quiet. Everyone was sick so we didn't get together. I missed seeing Piper.

I finished my cranberry socks and am happily wearing them. I'm currently knitting a soft moss green pair for myself and am about 1/2 done. I did a basket weave pattern for the top and I'm doing an afterthought heel on them. I started these on size 1 needles, but just can't stand working with them, so changed to size 2. Like them much better and like the fabric much better, too.

I ordered some Inox 6" DPNS to do the afterthought heels on. I really like Inox circular needles, too, and plan to get some more. The cord on them is very soft and flexible and I enjoy knitting with them. The price is SO REASONABLE! I have quite a few Addi Turbos, but I like the Inox needles much better. Just wish I had discovered them earlier--could have saved myself a lot of money!!!

Projects:
Baby hats for the Cheyenne River Rez.
I have a blue hat finished and I'm knitting a pretty yellow one now. I plan to knit matching baby booties for them, too. I have a favorite pattern that knits up quickly.

Ship Support hats:
I'm sewing fleece hats for the troops. They go really quickly and help keep our young men and women warm. Fleece is so much fun to work with--kind of an amazing fabric.

Elders at the Rez:
I'm using fleece scraps to make eyeglass cases and scarves for the elderly. I recently found a pattern for a fleece shawl with pockets that would be good for them too. It is so cold in South Dakota in the winter and their housing is very substandard. Many of them live in little trailer houses that are not insulated at all.

Sewing for ME:
I've decided that I need to make some pretty clothes for myself. The meds that I take for Dermatomyositis (Prednisone in particular) have caused me to gain a lot of weight. I'll be on these meds for a long time, so I better face it and get busy sewing! LOL

I know that fitting myself will be something of a problem, so have started looking for patterns I like that will be helpful. In my sewing books I found one about making a sloper and I think that may be something I will do. Then I can use it to change any other pattern I use. I made a sloper several years ago and have found it again. I will check out the measurements and see if I can reuse this one with some changes. If not, it's back to square one!!

Well, enough for today. Time to get started on some of these projects. Will try to figure out how to add pictures next time. I have forgotten how!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home